Friday, August 5, 2016

August 5, 2016 - Friday

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.
For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? Or what can one give in exchange for his life? (Matthew 16:24-26 NABRE)

There are two well-phrased notes associated with today's passage:

A readiness to follow Jesus even to giving up one’s life for him is the condition for true discipleship; this will be repaid by him at the final judgment.*

To deny someone is to disown him and to deny oneself is to disown oneself as the center of one’s existence.*

Lord, prepare my heart to be ready to follow you, especially when that means I will encounter hurt, loss, or suffering. And may my desire to disown myself as the center of my existence be sufficient for your glory to become my focus.


Today, I will examine ways I still put myself at the center of my existence.


Mary, Mother of God, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment