Thursday, August 11, 2016

August 11, 2016 - Thursday

His master summoned him and said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you your entire debt because you begged me to.
Should you not have had pity on your fellow servant, as I had pity on you?’
Then in anger his master handed him over to the torturers until he should pay back the whole debt.
So will my heavenly Father do to you, unless each of you forgives his brother from his heart. (Matthew 18:32-35 NABRE)

Today's passage is the conclusion to Jesus' Parable of the Unforgiving Servant. It is in response to the question of Peter regarding how often forgiveness is to be granted (Mt 18:21), Jesus answers that it is to be given without limit.*

This strongly worded conclusion is actually a warning to us. It should motivate us to become more forgiving toward others, just as God has been forgiving toward us.

God the Father’s forgiveness, already given, will be withdrawn at the final judgment for those who have not imitated his forgiveness by their own.*

Lord Jesus, thank you for teaching me to forgive others without limit. By your example on the cross, I can see that no wrong, no sin, no hurt is unforgivable. My Lord, help me to be more forgiving. Help me to see that by forgiving others, the Father will not withdraw his forgiveness from me for the many times I have offended him by my thoughts, words, and actions. May I, by the grace and power of your Spirit within me, learn to be merciful as you are merciful, forgiving as you are forgiving, and loving as you are loving. Lord, comfort me when I am wronged, heal me, and guard me from my natural desire for justice, revenge, and retaliation. And for those times when I succumb to these, weak in my own power, forgive me, Lord, for it is my greatest desire to please you.


Today, I will pray for an increase in mercy and forgiveness.


Saint Clare of Assisi, patron of those with eye disorders, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment