Monday, August 29, 2016

August 29, 2016 - Monday

When I came to you, brothers, proclaiming the mystery of God, I did not come with sublimity of words or of wisdom. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ, and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear and much trembling, and my message and my proclamation were not with persuasive (words of) wisdom, but with a demonstration of spirit and power, so that your faith might rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God. (1 Corinthians 2:1-5 NABRE)

The mystery of God: God’s secret, known only to himself, is his plan for the salvation of his people; it is clear from 1 Cor 1:18–25; 2:2, 8–10 that this secret involves Jesus and the cross.*

Saint Paul describes his fear and weakness as he began to speak to some people in Corinth about God's son Jesus, and how his death on the cross was endured for our salvation. First of all, even the phrase God's son is a remarkable one to make. And to think that by a submissive act of obedience, Jesus would have been able to accomplish the eternal salvation of my soul and yours.

Is it any wonder that we encounter our own fear, weakness, and inadequacies when we find ourselves with an opportunity to talk about our own faith? Is it any reason we become tongue-tied when we find ourselves in a position to defend our beliefs in the face of public challenge?


Today, on this Memorial of the Passion of Saint John the Baptist, I will turn to the wisdom of God's Spirit within at times of challenge.


Saint John the Baptist, martyred in defense of marriage, pray for us.


There are just 16 days remaining in this shared prayer journey of ours. Please continue to join your prayers with mine here, for a daily minute of reflection. As Jesus said, "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20) Though we gather together online, may our joining here reflect our deep desire to have Jesus in our midst.

No comments:

Post a Comment