Saturday, August 13, 2016

August 13, 2016 - Saturday

A clean heart create for me, God;
renew within me a steadfast spirit.
Do not drive me from before your face,
nor take from me your holy spirit.
Restore to me the gladness of your salvation;
uphold me with a willing spirit.
I will teach the wicked your ways,
that sinners may return to you. (Psalm 51:12-15 NABRE)

This passage from Psalm 51 feels so honest and real. As always happens when this is the case, I am struck by how this man from thousands of years ago could have written something that resonates so closely with my own experience.

Most days, I find myself reaching out to the Lord, asking for something or another. Some asks are big and others small, but when I am right-minded, my requests sound so much like the prayer of the Psalmist.

Lord, renew me with an unwavering spirit to do your will and to walk the path you have laid before me with courage and resolve. Please watch over me and keep your Spirit alive in my heart. When I grow tired or discouraged, help me to remember the promise of eternal joy in your very presence which awaits. And Lord, make clear to me the mission you have created me for so that I can be the witness to your love and mercy which you expect me to be.


Today, I will turn to the Lord asking him to strengthen me with his Spirit.


Saints Pontian and Hippolytus, two men who died for your faith, one had been pope, the other an antipope, who died reconciled, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment