Monday, March 10, 2014

March 10, 2014 - Monday

May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you. (1 Thessalonians 3:12 NIV)

We already know that when Paul uses the word love, he means some very specific things.  He prayed for his friends and followers, of which I am one.

Here, Paul is calling upon God to continually increase my patience with everyone.  He is asking God to move my heart and actions toward kindness.  He is praying that God would keep me from wanting things for myself--because (not surprisingly) this leads to envy, boastfulness, pride, lies, gossip, selfishness, anger, and negative comparisons.  And he is asking God to show me his truth, to lead me away from evil things, to protect others, to always trust, to always hope, and to always persevere in adversity.

What a beautiful prayer to offer for his friends!  He isn't telling them to bear the impossible task of making these things happen, he asks God to do the heavy lifting.  And all we need to do is welcome the changes!

Today, I will allow God to lead me in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment