Thursday, March 6, 2014

March 6, 2014 - Thursday

and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody. (1 Thessalonians 4:11, 12 NIV)

Paul gives very modern advice when he tells his friends to lead quiet lives.  To be seen as both credible and Christian in our society is difficult.  Apparently, it was a big deal for the early followers of Christ too.  In fact, it led Paul to advise his friends to focus on just two personal qualities that are still valid today:  To mind my own business and to work with my hands.  

In his experience, if I do these two things, I can win the respect of non-Christians, and will be independent, rather than indebted to others (thus limiting my ability to focus on what matters).  And all this is simply so that others may consider the truth of what I believe when they hear it.

Today, I will evaluate how well I mind my own business, and how I "work with my hands." 

No comments:

Post a Comment