Wednesday, September 9, 2015

September 10, 2015 - Thursday

Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience,
bearing with one another and forgiving one another, if one has a grievance against another; as the Lord has forgiven you, so must you also do. (Colossians 3:12-13 NABRE)

As we put aside the vices of this world, Paul offers us powerful replacements. Rather than living for the immediate pleasures of this physical world, he reminds us that Christ is in us and so we begin to act and speak like Christ.

Look at all the wonderful, remarkable, challenging changes Paul encourages us to make within ourselves: We should be compassionate, kind, humble, gentle, and patient. I believe a lifetime of work at these can bear fruit, and so let us try each day to become a little more as Paul describes, a little more like Jesus.

Lord Jesus, you came to save me and to show me by your example how I am to act in this foreign land. I ask that by the presence of your holy Spirit within me that you continue to lead me back home. Correct me when I stray. Strengthen me when I seek to put off this world's enticements. Give me reminders today when my thoughts stray from you. Call to me so that I might spend each moment in your holy presence.


Today, I will seek to become a little more like Jesus.


Saint Thomas of Villanova, called in your lifetime "the almsgiver" and after your death "the father of the poor," pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment