Sunday, September 13, 2015

September 13, 2015 - Sunday

He summoned the crowd with his disciples and said to them, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.
For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and that of the gospel will save it. (Mark 8:34-35 NABRE)

This utterance of Jesus challenges all believers to authentic discipleship and total commitment to himself through self-renunciation and acceptance of the cross of suffering, even to the sacrifice of life itself.*

Life seen as mere self-centered earthly existence and lived in denial of Christ ends in destruction, but when lived in loyalty to Christ, despite earthly death, it arrives at fullness of life.*

Lord Jesus, your disciple Saint John Chrysostom lived your challenge amidst the temptations of great power, wealth, and influence. He renounced himself as he committed himself totally to you. And there is no doubt he accepted his cross of suffering unjustly for your sake. He preached in a culture of excess and indulgence. He challenged his wealthy hearers to change, to give more to the poor, and to turn their hearts away from earthly pleasures. 

My Jesus, I thank you for the example of John Chrysostom. I struggle with following your call and accepting your challenge in a culture where every earthly temptation is constantly laid before me. Please do not abandon me today as I put aside my desires for yours, and as I welcome any cross of suffering in your name, joining it to your cross, and offering it for the needs of those who cannot help or even pray for themselves.


Today, I will challenge myself to become a more authentic follower of Jesus.


Saint John Chrysostom, patron of orators, preachers and speakers, pray for us.

"John Chrysostom and Aelia Eudoxia" by Jean-Paul Laurens

No comments:

Post a Comment