Saturday, September 12, 2015

September 12, 2015 - Saturday

This saying is trustworthy and deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Of these I am the foremost.
But for that reason I was mercifully treated, so that in me, as the foremost, Christ Jesus might display all his patience as an example for those who would come to believe in him for everlasting life. (1 Timothy 1:15-16 NABRE)

I might focus on the way Paul emphasizes to Timothy the trustworthiness of his statements as a basic truth of early Christian faith.* I might point out how the mercy and patience of Jesus extends to the worst of sinners.

Instead, I am struck by the way the child Jesus--who became the man we know--would have learned mercy and patience from his parents. We know very little about Joseph, but we do know he willingly submitted his will to God's for the care and protection of his family. We know about the way Mary accepted God's call on her life without hesitation. We recall their patience with the boy who stayed behind in Jerusalem and how he learned obedience and grew in wisdom under their loving care.


Today, on this feast of the Most Holy Name of the Blessed Virgin Mary, I will remember how important it is for me as a parent to fully submit my will to God's.


Mary, virgin mother of Jesus, who always points us to God and reminds us of his infinite goodness, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment