Friday, September 11, 2015

September 11, 2015 - Friday

How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me remove that splinter in your eye,’ when you do not even notice the wooden beam in your own eye? You hypocrite! Remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter in your brother’s eye. (Luke 6:42 NABRE)

Jesus calls on us to stop judging others! The splinter and the wooden beam are symbols of sins, our sins, real sins.

Jesus tells us that when we judge others we become hypocrites. When we hold others to a different standard than we hold ourselves, and when we overlook our own faults--often greater than those we cast our arrogant judgement upon, we invite God's judgment down upon ourselves.

In no uncertain terms, Jesus tells us, "Stop condemning and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven." (Luke 6:37b)

Lord, guide me to a better awareness of when I judge others. Protect me from any false representation of my own sense of charity, from putting on airs, and from acting as though I am not a sinner. Show me my own sinfulness and help me remove it from my life.


Today, I will consciously avoid judging others; and instead I will seek to judge my own words, actions, and motivations so that I can change what is sinful in me.


Saint Cyprian, patron of North Africa whose efforts helped the Church through the controversies about Baptism and Penance in the third century, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment