Sunday, September 27, 2015

September 27, 2015 - Sunday

Who can detect trespasses?
Cleanse me from my inadvertent sins.
Also from arrogant ones restrain your servant;
let them never control me.
Then shall I be blameless,
innocent of grave sin.
Let the words of my mouth be acceptable,
the thoughts of my heart before you,
LORD, my rock and my redeemer. (Psalm 19:13-15 NABRE)

It is only the one who is God who can do these things for us. We have, in today's verse, a beautiful example of humility and confidence in God.

Recently, I read a vitriolic and angry comment beneath a blog in which the commenter mentioned he did not believe in sin. While I do not recall the source and cannot be certain of the real substance behind it, the statement itself reflected such a current of popular belief and it captured well such a subtle deception to which we all fall prey, that it wants consideration in light of today's passage from Psalm 19.

The Catechism teaches us sin is naturally understood by all people regardless of creed. In part, sin is recognized as "an offense against reason, truth, and right conscience; it is failure in genuine love for God and neighbor caused by a perverse attachment to certain goods. It wounds the nature of man and injures human solidarity. It has been defined as 'an utterance, a deed, or a desire contrary to the eternal law.'” (Paragraph 1849)

Lord, please guide my conscience away from ignorance and wrong judgment. I must follow my conscience, so lead me to an ever-increasing understanding of what is good and right. When I face moral choices, show me the path of right judgment which is in harmony with reason as well as your will. Remind me, in these times, that the end cannot justify evil means. Keep me mindful of the Golden Rule. Lord Jesus, protect those I love from the blindness caused by sin so that they too may gain in wisdom and understanding. 


Today, I will pray for a clean heart.


Saint Vincent de Paul, patron of charitable societies, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment