Friday, September 4, 2015

September 4, 2015 - Friday

[Jesus] is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.
For in him were created all things in heaven and on earth,
the visible and the invisible,
whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers;
all things were created through him and for him.
He is before all things,
and in him all things hold together. (Colossians 1:15-17 NABRE)

Today's passage is thought to have been from an early Christian hymn the Colossians would have known from from liturgical use. (Wow! I love that it is preserved for us!)  In it, Jesus is presented as the mediator of creation and of redemption.*

In Genesis we see man and woman are created in the image and likeness of God. In today's passage, Christ is seen as the image of the invisible God, and he shares this new nature in baptism with the redeemed.*

In a remarkable insight, Jesus is known to be God's agent in the creation of all things. He was alive prior to all things.*

Lord Jesus, even when we put together all the things we know about you, we still cannot begin to understand your greatness. I thank you, Jesus, for the the creation I share in, for establishing a path for me back to God, and for standing between the Father and me as my Merciful Savior.


Today, I will contemplate the boundlessness of Jesus who is truly God and man.


Saint Rose of Viterbo, pray for us, who at eighteen, shared these dying words with your parents: "I die with joy, for I desire to be united to my God. Live so as not to fear death. For those who live well in the world, death is not frightening, but sweet and precious."

No comments:

Post a Comment