Tuesday, September 30, 2014

September 30, 2014 - Tuesday

He hushed the storm to silence,
the waves of the sea were stilled. (Psalm 107:29 NABRE)


As a musician, Psalm 107 has a structure I instantly understand. It has a refrain and verses much like the songs we hear today. The verses in turn have a common form and are a progression of images and situations that tell a great story.

In my life, I have problems, temptations and hurts that tug me away from God. They turn my head. They get in my path.  Yet, however insurmountable these are to me, they are nothing to God.  He is bigger than all my problems, much bigger. And in his endless compassion and mercy, he is always there to save me.

When I need help, I have to ask for it--this requires faith, confidence that God will answer, and humility. And when the Lord does save me from a particular distress, it's my place to thank him for his mercy.

I am grateful to hear the tiny whispering sounds of the Lord (1 Kings 19:11-13).  As Pope Francis reminds us, prayer as listening is powerful--sensitive listening to the promptings of the Spirit in the world around us.*


Today, I will thank my Lord for saving me from many distresses over the years, big and small, by whispering; and I will be open to opportunities to act as God's saving arms for others, by listening.


Saint Jerome, patron of librarians, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment