Saturday, September 6, 2014

September 6, 2014 - Saturday

Then I will rejoice in the LORD,
exult in God’s salvation.  (Psalm 35:9 NABRE)


Today's verse is a tricky one!  Out of context as it is here, there is a joy in it.  And it is tempting to evaluate it as such.  We can take away a pleasant reminder of the joy we should experience as Christians who have the promise of salvation.  Very encouraging, isn't it?

But there seems to be more to it.  Have you ever been falsely accused of something you didn't do?  Have you ever had your reputation unjustly smeared by someone?  Have you ever experienced the soul-crushing helplessness of enduring lies you cannot stop?  Well, King David knew all about this.  Imagine his rage, recall your own.  Consider how that must have combined with the feeling of helplessness, remember your own.  And wonder with me how long it may have gone on--days, weeks, months--that his enemy's false accusations circulated about him.  I wonder how exhausting it must have been.  Well, after asking the Lord to destroy his enemies, in his completely justifiable righteous anger, in today's verse, David predicts how he will feel after God does in fact destroy his enemies.

How human this is!  How familiar it feels.  Now consider Jesus' response to false accusations, ridicule, lies and the threat of death by his own people, even as he hung nailed to that cross:  “Father, forgive them, they know not what they do.”  (Luke 23:34)

And so I am convicted by this, called to seek forgiveness, even for the unforgivable.


Today, I will pray for a forgiving heart, especially at those times when I am unjustly accused, mistreated, ridiculed, lied about, or threatened.  I will ask the Lord to shield my spirit from the bitter anger and rage that can destroy far more than my physical self, but my eternal soul as well.


Blessed Claudio Granzotta, artist who joined his own suffering and death with Christ’s Cross, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment