Tuesday, October 14, 2014

October 14, 2014 - Tuesday

I will rejoice and be glad in your mercy,
once you have seen my misery,
[and] gotten to know the distress of my soul. (Psalm 31:8 NABRE)
...You will not abandon me into enemy hands,
but will set my feet in a free and open space.

I place my trust in God. Trusting God in all circumstances means having confidence in his mercy.

In today's verse, the Psalmist takes this a step further by rejoicing in God's mercy.  He recognizes something important about the character of God, that the Lord sees our misery and our distress and does not ignore it.  He knows our suffering and responds to it with mercy.

Lord God, I know you will not abandon me into the hands of the enemy. I believe you will protect me and it is with this confidence I pray that your mercy is shown to others who suffer to the point where they forget you, lose their confidence in you, or grow angry and cold toward you.  May you see and respond with only your mercy to the distress and misery which brings them to that dark place so far from your heart. It is with this confidence that I also pray for others who remain mindful of your mercy, that they continue to experience it and express it in their lives so that your will becomes visible in new ways in our world.


Today, I will pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy for the participants at the Synod on the Family.


Saint Callistus I, who reminds us of the Church's role to balance mercy and doctrine, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment