Saturday, March 14, 2015

March 14, 2015 - Saturday

But the tax collector stood off at a distance and would not even raise his eyes to heaven but beat his breast and prayed, ‘O God, be merciful to me a sinner.’
I tell you, the latter went home justified, not the former; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the one who humbles himself will be exalted. (Luke 18:13-14 NABRE)

Here at the conclusion of Luke's account of Jesus' parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector, we see a sinful man. This tax collector is not the only sinful man in the story, but he is the only one who recognizes his sinfulness. The Pharisee, on the other hand, is a self-righteous hypocrite who considers himself better than the rest of humanity. He is obviously a sinner too, but does not recognize it in himself.

Dear Lord, thank you for your mercy. I ask that you be merciful to me a sinner. I am like the tax collector who stood off at a distance with downcast eyes. I am like Saint Paul who once said about himself, "We know that the law is spiritual; but I am carnal, sold into slavery to sin.
What I do, I do not understand. For I do not do what I want, but I do what I hate." (Romans 7:15) Lord, please help me act in ways that please you, strengthen me in moments of decision, and by your Spirit, grant me the words and actions to advance your kingdom in this world.


Today, I will pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy and like the tax collector be convinced not of my own righteousness, but of my sinfulness and need for God's mercy.


Saint Joseph, protector of Jesus and Mary, pray for us.
Saint Matilda, celebrated for your devotion to prayer and almsgiving, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment