Monday, March 2, 2015

March 2, 2015 - Monday

“Stop judging and you will not be judged. Stop condemning and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven.
Give and gifts will be given to you; a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing, will be poured into your lap. For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you.” (Luke 6:37-38 NABRE)

These words of Jesus are direct and authoritative. He insists that we put aside our own arrogance and treat others with kindness and mercy, because he says, that is how God will deal with us if we do. Jesus challenges us to our core, indeed I find this personally convicting!

  • How often do I judge others rather than, as the saying goes, walking a mile in their shoes? 
  • How often do I condemn others with whom I disagree, publicly expressing my disapproval rather than privately speaking with them about ways to change? 
  • How often do I refuse to forgive others, stubbornly focusing on how they hurt me instead of seeing their pain? 
  • And perhaps most troubling of all, how often do I resist being generous toward others, worrying instead about my own wants?
Too often. Jesus reminds me in strong terms that if I want God to be merciful, compassionate, forgiving, and generous toward me--knowing exactly how much I needs him to be, I must resist my natural inclinations and change.


Today, I will ask for the Holy Spirit to empower me in each moment I can be more merciful, compassionate, forgiving, or generous.


Saint Agnes of Bohemia, whose life shows us we all can gradually exchange our standards (inclination to selfishness) for God’s standard of generosity, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment