Sunday, March 15, 2015

March 15, 2015 - Sunday

And this is the verdict, that the light came into the world, but people preferred darkness to light, because their works were evil.
For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come toward the light, so that his works might not be exposed.
But whoever lives the truth comes to the light, so that his works may be clearly seen as done in God. (John 3:19-21 NABRE)

Secrets. Lies. Things hidden. How common. How ordinary. How pervasive. How invasive.

Think of it. We might look at any aspect of our lives and recognize a secret we've kept, a hesitation we've made before speaking a truth, a misrepresentation we've made to protect ourselves or to build ourselves up a little too much. Yet, these things are often the small ones. What about the hurts we impose on others when we think no one will find out? What about the judgments and harsh words we throw around, often disguised as humor or, yes, even helpfulness? What about all the ways we mistreat one another?

I don't know why we do these things, but we do them. Perhaps we do them so unthinkingly because it is our earthly nature.

We are called to better things. We are called to truth. We are called to change. It is time to put aside secrets and lies. It is time to stop hiding the things we think and do and say.

Lord, lead me to the light! I want all my works to be pleasing to you. I want to live in the truth and to have my works clearly seen as done in you. I do not prefer darkness, yet I am tempted to seek the darkness at every turn. Lord, help me to prepare my heart for the light. Keep me from darkness.


Today, I will prepare my heart to receive the grace of Reconciliation.


Saint Louise de Marillac, patron of social workers, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment