Sunday, March 13, 2016

March 13, 2016 - Sunday

But whatever gains I had, these I have come to consider a loss because of Christ. More than that, I even consider everything as a loss because of the supreme good of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have accepted the loss of all things and I consider them so much rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having any righteousness of my own based on the law but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God, depending on faith to know him and the power of his resurrection and the sharing of his sufferings by being conformed to his death, if somehow I may attain the resurrection from the dead. (Philippians 3:7-11 NABRE)

Imagine the impact if we all considered everything we gain as a loss, except knowing Jesus as Lord! Paul, decades after his blinding encounter of Jesus on the road to Damascus, is still talking about the impact of that moment on his life. When he first encountered Jesus personally it changed his life. And after so much time passed, Paul, who gave up all earthly attachments in order to tell others about Jesus, still pleads with others to look only to Jesus for what matters.

May we all encounter Jesus personally, so that decades later we still consider our relationship with him as the supreme good in our lives.


Today, I will remember my faith in Jesus who suffered and overcame death for my sake.


Saint Leander of Seville, who introduced the practice of reciting the Nicene Creed at Mass as a way to help reinforce the faith of the people, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment