Thursday, March 24, 2016

March 24, 2016 - Thursday

You call me ‘teacher’ and ‘master,’ and rightly so, for indeed I am.
If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another’s feet.
I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do. (John 13:13-15 NABRE)

At his final meal with his friends, knowing his own death was imminent, of all the things he could do as one of the final lessons he taught them, Jesus chose to wash their feet. Jesus put a towel around his waist and with a basin of water washed the dirty feet of his friends, lowering himself from his rightful place as Lord of lords to that of a humble servant.

Jesus explains that he did this as a model for us to follow. He tells us to do the same for others.


Today, on this Holy Thursday, I will look for a concrete way to imitate Jesus in an act of service to someone in need.


Saint Catherine of Genoa, whose love of God was renewed in you by the Scriptures and the sacraments, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment