Wednesday, March 23, 2016

March 23, 2016 - Wednesday

Then one of the Twelve, who was called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, “What are you willing to give me if I hand him over to you?” They paid him thirty pieces of silver, and from that time on he looked for an opportunity to hand him over. (Matthew 26:14-16 NABRE)

The motive of avarice is introduced by Judas’s question about the price for betrayal, which is absent in the Marcan source.* (Mark 14:10–11) Much is made of Judas' betrayal, and rightly so. Regardless of his expectation of what the ultimate outcome might or might not be, he betrayed his friend to certain suffering for money.

I remain focused on my own culpability as we draw to the end of this season of Lent.

In what ways do I expose my faith in Jesus to various dangers brought on by the enemy? Do I put my faith in jeopardy when I quietly allow the culture to have my full attention? Do I betray Jesus when I pursue profit at the expense of human needs? Do I neglect what matters most when I remain silent in the face of verbal challenges?

How often do I betray Jesus for money or comfort or out of timidity or weakness? How often this week? How many times today?

Today, I will ask the Holy Spirit for strength and wisdom during times of temptation and challenge.


Saint Turibius of Mogrovejo, who, together with Rose of Lima is the first known saint of the New World, served the Lord in Peru, South America, for 26 years, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment