Wednesday, March 9, 2016

March 9, 2016 - Wednesday

Nor does the Father judge anyone, but he has given all judgment to his Son, so that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.
Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes in the one who sent me has eternal life and will not come to condemnation, but has passed from death to life. (John 5:22-24 NABRE)

In context, the concept of judgment is a divine prerogative, often expressed in the scriptures as acquittal or condemnation.* God the Father, the almighty creator, gave all judgment to his Son, Jesus. In today's passage, we are called to honor Jesus, as a way also to honor the Father, by listening to his word and believing in the Father.

Unfortunately, I don't always remember to honor Jesus or the Father. And there are even times I set myself in judgment of others--assuming the role of judge and jury to what I perceive as their shortcomings.

Lord God, be merciful to me. I ask that you strengthen my faith in times of challenge. I ask for awareness so that I might not judge others harshly, but rather remember my own sinfulness. Lord Jesus, you are the true judge of all things, but you are also merciful. It is my greatest hope that you might be my soul's merciful savior rather than my just judge.


Today, I will resist the temptation to judge others, focusing instead on God's Word and seeking a deeper faith in Jesus.


Saint Frances of Rome, whose life calls each of us not only to look deeply for God in prayer, but also to carry our devotion to Jesus living in the suffering of our world, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment