Tuesday, March 22, 2016

March 22, 2016 - Tuesday

When he had said this, Jesus was deeply troubled and testified, “Amen, amen, I say to you, one of you will betray me.” (John 13:21 NABRE)

The Gospel of John records much of the discourse of The Last Supper. In John 13, Jesus predicts Judas' betrayal of him. At the time, the disciples did not know what Jesus meant. They clearly had no idea that Judas meant to turn him over to the authorities who would then have him crucified.

Judas has become infamous for being the ultimate betrayer of Christ. But, how often do we betray Jesus? I wonder if I also betray him in small ways.  Am I like Peter, who denied that he knew Jesus? In what ways do I personally deny knowing Jesus? In what ways, do I neglect to stand strong in defense of his name when confronted by the enemy? Do I recognize the enemy?


Today, I will look inward to see if I betray Jesus by my actions and omissions, and I will seek to recognize the enemy of my soul whenever I encounter him.


Saint Nicholas Owen, one of the 40 Martyrs of England and Wales, who made a habit of seeking support in prayer and the Eucharist for your work, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment