Saturday, May 31, 2014

May 31, 2014 - Saturday

Therefore, since we have this ministry through the mercy shown us, we are not discouraged. (2 Corinthians 4:1 NABRE)

What a fantastic testimony of belief in Jesus!

Do you remember who Paul was before he came to believe?  He was known as Saul of Tarsus, a well-educated young Pharisee committed to eradicating the Jesus movement that had begun among certain Jews, then called The Way, by aggressively hunting down and imprisoning its followers.
  • So, when Paul refers to his ministry, he reminds us that he's really changed!  Today, we might say he "pulled a one-eighty" when we describe his complete reversal of heart.  At this point, he has become an Apostle of the risen Jesus, sent personally to tell his story to others, to tell us all about this change he experienced and to invite us to the same reversal of heart.  Wow!  My take-away is that God can call ANYONE to Himself, even the least likely among us, and prepare that person to share his or her experience with others.
  • When Paul (referring to himself as "we") says he was shown mercy, he is telling us that Jesus was merciful to him when he didn't deserve it.  I have to ask why Jesus would show any mercy at all to this man.  I choose to see it as a personal encouragement for those times when I know I do not deserve God's forgiveness myself--when I resist God's whispered call.
  • And when he states that he is not discouraged, he is being encouraging to his brothers and sisters in Corinth who have had some serious problems since he left them.  Paul's confidence leads me to want to persevere in my own faith.
Historical side note:  Paul established the Christian community in Corinth about the year 51 (18 years after Jesus died on the cross).  He did so on his second (of 3) missionary journeys.


Today, I will follow Saint Paul's lead and begin to create my own testimony to share with others about what Jesus has done for me--not about theology or religion, but how he continues to change my heart each day.


Today is the feast of the Visitation on which we remember Mary's visit to her cousin Elizabeth.  Mary, mother of Jesus, pray for us, for unity in the church that your son established.  (For the full story, see Luke 1:39-56)


No comments:

Post a Comment