Friday, October 2, 2015

October 2, 2015 - Friday

For we did not listen to the voice of the LORD, our God, in all the words of the prophets he sent us,
but each of us has followed the inclinations of our wicked hearts, served other gods, and done evil in the sight of the LORD, our God. (Baruch 1:21-22 NABRE)

During their exile from the destroyed Jerusalem to Babylon, a punishment which they brought upon themselves by disregarding God, the people of Judah including king Jekoniah, after hearing these words read to them by the prophet Baruch from a scroll he had written, immediately recognized, regretted, and sought to make amends for their sins against God. They owned it!

When I first read the words of their confession of guilt, I was struck by my own tendency to ignore God's expectations for my life. I am, however, grateful for the example of these exiles. I can utter their words as my own prayer of repentance. Like them, I can take responsibility for the times I disregarded God.

Lord, I did not listen to your voice in all the words of the prophets you sent me. Even now, don't I find myself pushing against the recent words of Pope Francis that make me most uncomfortable--the words that threaten to include me with those he challenged to change? Of course I need to change, but I'd rather think he was talking to someone else! Holy Spirit, enlighten my mind and stir my heart to a clear and honest view of my own shortcomings. Lord God, I have followed the inclinations of my own wicked heart, served other gods, and done evil in your sight. I ask for your mercy. I ask for your forgiveness. I ask that you show me ways to be merciful and forgiving toward others, especially those against whom I am most angry.


Today, on this Feast of the Guardian Angels, I will offer a prayer of repentance, falling back on God's who calls to me, "...return to me with your whole heart...." (Joel 2:12)


Saint Maria Goretti, 20th-century Italian martyr, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment