Monday, October 5, 2015

October 5, 2015 - Monday

I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another.
This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:34-35 NABRE)

While at the Last Supper with his disciples, Jesus doesn't so much give them a new commandment, as he puts himself on par with Yahweh.*

Such an audacious claim becomes clearer when we understand that the command, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD." comes from the book of Leviticus (19:18) and it is to this verse Jesus refers.

While certainly confusing and probably uncomfortable for his disciples to hear in the time before his resurrection, to us it is a firm reminder that Jesus is Lord.


Today, I will celebrate Jesus' Lordship by opening the door of my heart just a bit wider to others.


Saint Faustina, who taught us so much about and was so dedicated to Divine Mercy, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment