Saturday, October 31, 2015

October 31, 2015 - Saturday

Rather, when you are invited, go and take the lowest place so that when the host comes to you he may say, ‘My friend, move up to a higher position.’ Then you will enjoy the esteem of your companions at the table.
For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted. (Luke 14:10-11 NABRE)

One sabbath, Jesus was dining at the home of a prominent Pharisee. Noticing that the guests were choosing seats of honor at the table and in effect their status in the grouping, he tells them a parable about being humble.

He makes the point that humbling ourselves is not only practical and helps us avoid embarrassment, but it is how God wants us to evaluate ourselves, putting others ahead of ourselves.

The banquet scene found only in Luke provides the opportunity for these teachings of Jesus on humility and presents a setting to display Luke’s interest in Jesus’ attitude toward the rich and the poor.*


Today, I will test my own attitude about myself in relation to every other person I encounter. If I discover I think better of myself than I do of anyone, I will reverse my thinking with the sincere hope that my heart will follow.


Saint Wolfgang of Regensburg, who resisted a personal inclination to monastic life in order to do the work you were led to do, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment