Wednesday, June 18, 2014

June 18, 2014 - Wednesday

I am confident of you in the Lord that you will not take a different view, and that the one who is troubling you will bear the condemnation, whoever he may be. (Galatians 5:10 NABRE)


Taking a short side-trip of loose interpretation, today's verse inspires me to reflect on how I cause myself trouble.  I am challenged with a glimpse of my own overblown sense of self-importance.

If I may paraphrase--and feel free to insert your own name in the brackets:  I the Lord am confident of you [my name here], that you will remain faithful to my son.  But the one who is troubling you, in this case you yourself, risk my condemnation unless you stop relying on yourself.

Interesting, no?  I read and am struck by today's verse as a very personal challenge from God's word to me; though Paul admittedly writes about something completely different.  He is trying to turn his friends back from a wrong belief that has sprung up among them--that something other than faith in Jesus (adhering to the old Jewish laws) brings salvation.

We all seek purpose in this life.  I am finding that purpose can only be found outside myself.  So, at those times I rely on my own understanding and seek my own ends, I miss my real purpose in this life.



Today, I will pray for a better understanding of myself and the removal of any false sense of my own importance so that I may remain focused on my life's real purpose.


Saint Gregory Barbarigo, known for your wisdom and understanding, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment