Sunday, June 29, 2014

June 29, 2014 - Sunday

Praise the LORD, all you nations!
Extol him, all you peoples! (Psalm 117:1 NABRE)


Perfect advice.  What better way to start each day.

The Psalms are special in many ways.  They are instructive, prophetic and beautifully written.  But to me their most compelling quality is the raw, fearless outpouring of emotion they share!  These songs of King David range from the pit of bitter anger all the way to the height of joy.  They remind me that my own feelings, whatever they are, are acceptable to God and worthy of sharing with him.  Which makes sense, since he created them.

And don't forget that God has this full range of feelings too, with all the complexity and nuance we ourselves experience each day.  We see God's righteous anger at pharaoh in Egypt and his great pleasure in his son Jesus at his baptism in the Jordan river.  He understands our feelings and so we need to bring them to God in prayer, at all times, in all situations.  When we are angry and offended.  And when we are happy and grateful.  He is constant even when we are not.  David knew this, which may be why the Lord refers to him as a man after my own heart.


Today, on this Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, I will praise God in my heart and in my words--with my whole life!  


Saints Peter and Paul, who remind us that God chooses us as we are, pray for us.
Saint Joseph, husband of Mary, pray for us.
Saint Peregrine, patron of cancer patients, pray for us.
Saint Rita, patron of parenthood, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment