Monday, June 2, 2014

June 2, 2014 - Monday

Consequently, you too must think of yourselves as [being] dead to sin and living for God in Christ Jesus. (Romans 6:11 NABRE)


Paul wrote his letter to the Romans about 25 years after Jesus died, probably while in Corinth (~ A.D. 56-58).

In the letter, he explains how we were freed from the power of sin because of Jesus' sacrifice.  And he tells us what that means for how we should live our lives--specifically, that we should not obey the desires of our mortal bodies.

So I am expected to choose how I will live.  For myself, I would rather work to make myself a slave to doing what is right than allow myself to be a slave to sinfulness.  Paul reminds me that this is a choice I have, a decision I make for myself which, if I don't make it, is made for me by default.


Today, I will decide for myself, once again, to live for God in Christ Jesus and work to master the desires of my mortal body.


Saints Marcellinus and Peter, whose decision for Christ caused you to be martyred for your faith, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment