Friday, December 12, 2014

December 12, 2014 - Friday

I will proclaim the decree of the LORD,
he said to me, “You are my son;
today I have begotten you. (Psalm 2:7 NABRE)

A speaker proclaims the divine decree (in the legal adoption language of the day), making the Israelite king the earthly representative of God.*  Though written a thousand years before Jesus was born, notice the familiar language. Recall the gospel story of Jesus' baptism and God's voice from the heavens:
And a voice came from the heavens, saying, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.” (Matthew 3:17)
Lord, thank you for sending your son to us as Immanuel (God with us), as Messiah (the Christ, the annointed one) and as Savior. During the rest of this Advent season, help me to increase in gratitude for the one perfect gift.

Today, I will remember how Mary, the mother of our Lord, appeared to Juan Diego in 1531 in Mexico. I will also recall that she is mother to us all, with great tenderness for each of us.


Our Lady of Guadalupe, Mary, patroness of the Americas and Mexico, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment