Monday, December 29, 2014

December 29, 2014 - Monday

You sift through my travels and my rest;
with all my ways you are familiar. (Psalm 139:3 NABRE)

For me, Psalm 139 always calls to mind a favorite song we used to sing during Mass called You Are Near.

On a side note, since 2008, out of respect to it's original significance and use, we no longer sing the Divine Name of God, expressed as "Yahweh," in this and other songs or prayers during the liturgy (a particular problem for this song since Yahweh was actually the first word in the lyric).* It's been replaced by "O Lord" and, after some minor anguish, that is alright with me. It's a good alternative chosen by the composer.

That aside, the actual meaning of You Are Near has to do with the closeness of God to each one of us. And that is what resonates with so many people about the song and keeps Psalm 139 a favorite of many. The closeness of God. He is with us. Immanuel. He is as close as our next thought, our next feeling, our next breath. God knows each of us even better than we know ourselves. He made us. And he loves us.

Lord, thank you for your nearness to me. Thank you for your protection. Thank you for your love.


Today, I will meditate on your real presence within me, and the power of your holy Spirit to lead me in your ways.


Saint Thomas Becket, who reminds us to take a stand for what is true and right, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment