Tuesday, December 23, 2014

December 23, 2014 - Tuesday

For a child is born to us, a son is given to us;
upon his shoulder dominion rests.
They name him Wonder-Counselor, God-Hero,
Father-Forever, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:5 NABRE)

Isaiah the prophet lived 800 years before Jesus and the language of today's verse seems to be that of a coronation rather than a birth. His words were meant to tell of a future king, promised by God, who would ensure the future of their people. The child mentioned in today's verse is also associated with the Emmanuel of Isaiah 7:14 and 8:8 (See also, Isaiah 11:1-2 and the 11:9-10 for other references.)*

In Matthew's gospel, with the great benefit of hindsight, Jesus is identified as the fulfillment of Isaiah's prophecy of God's promise of a deliverer for Israel. We see this specifically in Matthew 1:23 which refers back to Isaiah 7:14.

O Emmanuel, O God with us, please turn my heart to you who wants a relationship with me. As the bustle of holiday preparation swirls around me, keep me keenly aware of your presence in my day and let me know an increase in the joy and peace only you can provide.


Today, I will remember that God is indeed with each of us.


Saint John Kanty, whose kind, humble, generous, austere and penitential life reminds us, especially at Christmas-time, to focus on what matters most, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment