Tuesday, May 12, 2015

May 12, 2015 - Tuesday

But I tell you the truth, it is better for you that I go. For if I do not go, the Advocate will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.
And when he comes he will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and condemnation:
sin, because they do not believe in me;
righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see me;
condemnation, because the ruler of this world has been condemned. (John 16:7-11 NABRE)

Jesus continues his instruction at the Last Supper and his description in today's verse of the Advocate--the Holy Spirit who was to come, gives us an understanding of what his purpose was to be. He leads believers to see:

  • That the basic sin was and is refusal to believe in Jesus;
  • That, although Jesus was found guilty and apparently died in disgrace, in reality righteousness has triumphed, for Jesus has returned to his Father;
  • That it is the ruler of this world, Satan, who has been condemned through Jesus’ death (John 12:32).* 

Lord Jesus, thank you for sending your Holy Spirit to me. May he lead me along the path of my life, safely through all its dangers and snares, so that I might one day be with you in heaven.


Today, on this Tuesday of the Sixth Week of Easter, I will gratefully thank the Lord for sending his Holy Spirit to each person who believes.


Saint Pancras, third-century martyr for Christ, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment