Thursday, May 7, 2015

May 7, 2015 - Thursday

Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you encounter various trials,
for you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
And let perseverance be perfect, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2-4 NABRE)

In today's verse, James encourages me to consider the trials I am facing right now as all joy! It seems absurd, but he defends the idea when he reminds me that tests of my faith produce perseverance and lead to spiritual maturity, which he calls perfection.

My wife and I have, through the years, laughingly debated the opposing merits of "thinking" versus "doing." I on the more contemplative side of the debate typically extol the virtues of reflection and intellectual engagement. She on the more active side, prefers not even bothering to debate, but instead getting on with producing results. Well, James, writer of today's passage was clearly a man of action. Yet his words, for all their intense vigor, reflect a truly deep and penetrating understanding of Christ's teaching as it affects each of us personally.

If you haven't read the short letter of James, why not read it now..or some time today! It is energizing, engaging, challenging, direct, and loaded with personality. Take action, then allow yourself some time for reflection...it's a pattern that's always worked for my wife and me!

Today, on this Thursday of the Fifth Week of Easter, I will pray for friends I don't see often, that the needs and intentions of their hearts will be met, and that they will find all joy.


Saint Rose Venerini, whose life reminds us that all we are is meant to be put to service wherever we find ourselves, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment