Saturday, May 16, 2015

May 16, 2015 - Saturday

Amen, amen, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you.
Until now you have not asked anything in my name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete. (John 16:23b-24 NABRE)

Jesus continues his "goodbye" talk with the Apostles at the Last Supper. Notice several qualities of his way of speaking. First, it continues to be very direct. Second, it is predictive--Jesus describes what will happen in the future. Third, he talks about what the Apostles themselves will do--things which up until this point only Jesus had done; and they would do these things by asking God the Father for help in Jesus' name.

Lord, God, help me to discern your will in the day's events, to listen for your Spirit's whisper, and to desire to submit my will to your own. And Lord, when I see another in need, give me the grace to ask you for help, remembering to do it in Jesus' name. I know his is the name above all other names. I know that whatever I ask for in his name, if it is compatible with your will, that you will answer that request. And when you do answer, I ask that someone recognize the answer, even if it's not me, so that you are glorified by it.


Today, on this Saturday of the Sixth Week of Easter, I will pray for discernment for myself and my family in the many moments of decision each day brings.


Saint Peregrine of Laziosi, patron of persons suffering from cancer, AIDS and other serious diseases, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment