Monday, May 4, 2015

May 4, 2015 - Monday

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. (John 14:27 NABRE)

At the Last Supper, knowing full well he was about to be arrested, humiliated, scourged, beaten, nailed to a tree, and die, Jesus spoke of peace. How curious is that? A short while later, he even added, "I have told you this so that you might have peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world." (16:33) Jesus doesn't deny that we will struggle and suffer. But he reminds us to trust in him, to look beyond this present suffering, and to know the peace that he promises you and me.

Lord Jesus, what confidence you had as you walked toward such horror! What peace you must have felt though you were sad and afraid. Jesus, you are my peace, just as Saint Paul writes (Ephesians 2:14-18). Through you I have access to the Holy Spirit. Through you I am reconciled to the Father. Help me to join my suffering and trials today to yours on the cross. Give me the grace to offer my pain as alms for someone in greater need of your mercy. Thank you for your compassion. Intercede for me with the Father that this present suffering may end, or at least that I may come to know it as a means to my closer union with you.


Today, on this Monday of the Fifth Week of Easter, I will remember that peace comes when I trust in Jesus.


Blessed Michael Giedroyc, who achieved holiness despite a life of physical pain and mental torment, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment