Wednesday, May 20, 2015

May 20, 2015 - Wednesday

I have never wanted anyone’s silver or gold or clothing.
You know well that these very hands have served my needs and my companions.
In every way I have shown you that by hard work of that sort we must help the weak, and keep in mind the words of the Lord Jesus who himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ (Acts 20:33-35 NABRE)

Saint Paul continues his goodbye speech to his Ephesian friends. In today's verse, he emphasizes his own labor as a means to support himself and to help others. The important point here is that, in addition to the work we know him for--his preaching, church planting, and writing--he worked with his hands as a tent maker to support himself and to help others in need. He encourages us by example to work hard to advance the interest of others.

Lord God, so many of us are so desperately in need of you. Today, lead me to someone who needs to hear about you, allow me the means and opportunity to help them see you present in their day, by my words and deeds.


Today, on this Wednesday of the Seventh Week of Easter, I will work hard, and when the opportunity presents itself, I will welcome the chance to help someone in need.


Saint Bernardine of Siena, holy man of action and contemplation, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment