Tuesday, May 5, 2015

May 5, 2015 - Tuesday

The Advocate, the holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name—he will teach you everything and remind you of all that [I] told you. (John 14:26 NABRE)

At the Last Supper, Jesus continues to explain what will happen to the Apostles in very direct language. This promise and prediction must have been particularly confusing at the time. Trying to imagine myself hearing these words, I'd have assumed he was planning to send a lawyer to interpret the law for me--or the equivalent in those days!

Though they could not have known what was coming, or how this holy Spirit of God whom Jesus refers to as the Spirit of truth, would change them in a few short weeks, they no doubt had an uneasy and confusing sense of doom and hope growing within them. Jesus was, after all, explaining what was to happen to him and to them beginning that night.

Lord Jesus, thank you for the gift of your holy Spirit of truth. Even though we only know stories of you, like those of a relative who lived before we were born, we experience your Spirit in our lives just as you did! Help me to listen to his guiding wisdom, and to trust what I hear. Help me to remain strong in prayer so that I am not misled by false guidance intended to turn my heart from you. Thank you for encountering me in this day, Lord, may all I do today bring you glory!


Today, on this Tuesday of the Fifth Week of Easter, I will listen prayerfully for the holy Spirit's teaching and reminders.


Saint Hilary of Arles, who gave of his time and talent as a bishop, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment