Wednesday, May 27, 2015

May 27, 2015 - Wednesday

Whoever wishes to be great among you will be your servant;
whoever wishes to be first among you will be the slave of all.
For the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many. (Mark 10:43-45 NABRE)

Today's verse is part of a central emphasis of Jesus' message: Service. He cautions his disciples against ambition and points out that, as leaders, they will be called to serve those that follow them. "Whatever authority is to be exercised by the disciples must, like that of Jesus, be rendered as service to others rather than for personal aggrandizement. The service of Jesus is his passion and death for the sins of the human race."* 

Lord Jesus, thank you for your service. While I could never match your great gift to me--opening the way for me to a relationship with you and with the Father, I can seek to serve others each day I am here. I can increasingly enslave myself to their needs, sacrificing my time, energy, talent and treasure so that they might see something of your generosity, mercy and love by my small actions.


Today, I will seek a heart of service, demonstrated by action.


Saint Augustine of Canterbury, whose life teaches us to struggle on despite frustrations and to find satisfaction with gradual advances, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment