Friday, May 8, 2015

May 8, 2015 - Friday

My heart is steadfast, God,
my heart is steadfast.
I will sing and chant praise.
Awake, my soul;
awake, lyre and harp!
I will wake the dawn.
I will praise you among the peoples, Lord;
I will chant your praise among the nations. (Psalm 57:8-10 NABRE)

I admire the confidence here. When the chips are down, do we remain steadfast? When threats are all around us, do we boldly sing praise to God? More than that, do we sing loudly enough to wake up a new day? If not, well, why not?

If we have faith, truly have faith, our circumstances should not direct our hearts. This has always been true. Remember Saint Paul's exhortation to the Thessalonians which was made ten centuries later:
Rejoice always.
Pray without ceasing.
In all circumstances give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus. (5:16-18)


Today, on this Friday of the Fifth Week of Easter, I will rejoice and praise my God proudly regardless of my day's circumstances!


Saint Peter of Tarentaise, 12th-century monk, bishop and reformer who reached out to the poor, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment