Saturday, May 2, 2015

May 2, 2015 - Saturday

Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works.
Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else, believe because of the works themselves.
Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father.
And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it. (John 14:10-14 NABRE)

Jesus, at the Last Supper, taught with some of his most direct language. Out of time, and surrounded by just his closest friends, he did not use parables but spoke directly so they would understand without question who he was, why he came, and what he expected them to do once he was gone.

Jesus describes his relationship with the Father so they will believe. And he points out that his works, signs, and miracles are further evidence that should convince them of the truth of his claim.

Jesus explains to his followers that they will continue his work with the same power he demonstrated whenever they ask for the Father's help in Jesus' name.

Lord Jesus, I ask for the Father's help in your name so that I may continue your work in my day. Led by your Holy Spirit, I seek wisdom and discernment so that I might recognize your work and distinguish it from anything that would turn me away from you. Thank you for your help and companionship.


Today, I will seek one quiet minute each hour to notice and thank God for his presence in my situation.


Saint Athanasius, whose life reminds us of our own call to remain true to our faith, no matter what, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment