Thursday, May 14, 2015

May 14, 2015 - Thursday

So then the Lord Jesus, after he spoke to them, was taken up into heaven and took his seat at the right hand of God.
But they went forth and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them and confirmed the word through accompanying signs. (Mark 16:19-20 NABRE)

The Apostles were the first witnesses of Jesus Christ. We are his witnesses too. We are called by him, just as much as they were, to go out everywhere and tell others about him. But we are not left alone to accomplish this work, Jesus works with us through the Spirit which he gives us.

The Apostles were the first to have their witness confirmed by miraculous signs performed publically. We are his witnesses too, but the confirming signs we see are typically private revelations. Though we often share them with others, and though these signs are all around us, it is only by the Spirit within us that we recognize them.

Lord Jesus, thank you for sending me your Spirit so that I might share in your work and so I might recognize the signs of your presence among us. Lord, my God, give me the grace to surrender my will to your own so that I might serve you during this life and be with you in the next. Lord, give me the trust it takes to rely on you, to listen for your whispered voice, and to speak and act according to your purpose for my life.


Today, on this Solemnity of the Ascension of the Lord, I will pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy for those souls who have no one else to pray for them.


Saint Matthias, Apostle, who received gladly the relationship with the Father offered him by Jesus and completed by the Holy Spirit, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment