Saturday, August 15, 2015

August 15, 2015 - Saturday

And Mary said:
“My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord;
my spirit rejoices in God my savior.
For he has looked upon his handmaid’s lowliness;
behold, from now on will all ages call me blessed.
The Mighty One has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.
His mercy is from age to age
to those who fear him. (Luke 1:46-50 NABRE)

These lines are the first half of the canticle (song) of Mary known as the Magnificat. In it, she praises God and recognizes herself as his servant.

Historians tell us that the Magnificat (with the possible exception of v 48) may have been a Jewish Christian hymn that Luke found appropriate at this point in his story. Even if not composed by Luke, it fits in well with themes found elsewhere in Luke: joy and exultation in the Lord; the lowly being singled out for God’s favor; the reversal of human fortunes; the fulfillment of Old Testament promises.*

Lord, thank you for Mary, the first and most perfect disciple. Let me say yes to you as she did, regardless of my fear, circumstances, age, or prior plans. Like Mary, let my yes come without hesitation or reluctance. Help me to know myself as your servant and to joyfully declare your greatness in all I do and say today.


Today, on this Solemnity of the Assumption of Mary, I will join Mary in joyfully declaring God's greatness.


Immaculate Mother of God, the ever Virgin Mary, who was assumed body and soul to heavenly glory, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment