Thursday, August 6, 2015

August 6, 2015 - Thursday

For he received honor and glory from God the Father when that unique declaration came to him from the majestic glory, “This is my Son, my beloved, with whom I am well pleased.”
We ourselves heard this voice come from heaven while we were with him on the holy mountain. (2 Peter 1:17-18 NABRE)

Today's passage from Peter's second letter contains a simple and powerful statement that Peter himself was one of the three witnesses present at the Transfiguration of Jesus, traditionally believed to have happened on Mt. Tabor.

Lord God, it is really too much for me to understand what might have happened that day on the mountain. It is too much for me to understand how Jesus is your divine son who became a man to live among us. I take it on faith that Peter's witness to this event is authentic and true. I thank you for his gift of witness and for my gift of faith. Give me continued awareness of your real presence in my day, as real as it was on that mountain, and give me the grace to bear witness to my own experience of your astounding impact on my life. Finally, help me to always stay aware of the thin veil that separates our physical reality from your unimaginable glory which transcends time and place.


Today, on this Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord, I will remember that Jesus was both God and man.


Saint Hormisdas Pope, who reunited the Eastern and Western Church in 519, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment