Saturday, August 22, 2015

August 22, 2015 - Saturday

As for you, do not be called ‘Rabbi.’ You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers.
Call no one on earth your father; you have but one Father in heaven.
Do not be called ‘Master’; you have but one master, the Messiah.
The greatest among you must be your servant.
Whoever exalts himself will be humbled; but whoever humbles himself will be exalted. (Matthew 23:8-12 NABRE)

Jesus warns us from adopting a spirit of superiority and pride by accepting titles such as rabbi or master.* In fact, he continues with remarkably cutting words for those who do adopted such a spirit: the scribes and Pharisees. They opposed the value system to which Jesus encourages us when he says The greatest among you must be your servant.

Lord Jesus, you know my heart. Thank you for sharing your Spirit with me. Lead my heart to humility and not to pride. Drive out all self-importance from me and replace it with a desire to serve. You are the one great teacher and master. Let me model my life on your example. Teach me to lead as you did, as a servant who humbled himself to his Lord and Father.


Today, on this Memorial of the Queenship of the Blessed Virgin Mary, I will pray the rosary, focused on the Glorious Mysteries, especially the Coronation of Mary.


Mary, Queen of Heaven and Earth, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment