Monday, August 17, 2015

August 17, 2015 - Monday

The young man said to him, “All of these [commandments] I have observed. What do I still lack?”
Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to [the] poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
When the young man heard this statement, he went away sad, for he had many possessions.
Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Amen, I say to you, it will be hard for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 19:20-23 NABRE)

Don't look at your posessions like the young man in the story. See them for what they really are.

Jesus speaks to all of us who have been blessed with money, power, possessions, comforts, medical resources, opportunities, education, contentment, leisure time and so many other gifts.

Jesus did not say it directly to this devout but wealthy young man, but all of these blessings actually belong to God. Jesus opens the man's eyes to the truth that we are not given such wealth for our own sakes alone, but primarily to care for others in need.

And while he doesn't say it to the young man, he says it to us as he cautioned his disciples: Having riches in this life makes it hard to live as God wants us to live, in a manner that will allow us to enter the kingdom of heaven, as good caretakers of God's property.

Lord, thank you for the many blessings you have shared with me. Give me direction so that I might care for the property you chose to place in my hands. By your Spirit, show me how to use these gifts to build your kingdom here on earth. Help me to defy my false sense that it is by my effort alone that I provide for the needs of my family. Deepen my sense of trust in you and in your provision. 

Open my eyes, Lord, cure my blindness, show me the needs of others whom you call me to help. Allow me to hear your whispered voice today, amidst the constant noise and endless distractions, so that I might share with the poor all the resources intended for them which you have entrusted to my stewardship.


Today, I will thankfully seek the Holy Spirit's guidance on how to be a good steward of the riches that have been entrusted to me.


Saint Joan of the Cross, who's conversion reminds us to be open to God's presence in others, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment