Monday, August 31, 2015

August 31, 2015 - Monday

He came to Nazareth, where he had grown up, and went according to his custom into the synagogue on the sabbath day. He stood up to read and was handed a scroll of the prophet Isaiah. He unrolled the scroll and found the passage where it was written:
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me
to bring glad tidings to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim liberty to captives
and recovery of sight to the blind,
to let the oppressed go free. (Luke 4:16-18 NABRE)

Jesus read about himself from the synagogue scroll of Isaiah. He read to the people of his hometown. He spoke and they were moved, but then he said something that turned everything upside down. He began by saying, "Amen, I say to you, no prophet is accepted in his own native place." (Luke 4:24) Jesus moved their hearts, but then challenged all who heard him. And they rejected him, took offense at his words, and planned to kill him.

Jesus, I too am moved by who you are. I am open to the challenges you place in front of me. I ask that your holy Spirit continue to be my guide so that I will not reject you or be offended by your words. Help me, Spirit of God, to recognize instead my own shortcomings and to listen to your words of correction. Help me to see my own smallness and remember that you are great, you have knowledge, you have wisdom.


Today, I will listen with humility and openness for any words of correction I need to hear.


Saint Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus, whose actions give us insight into the charismatic power of Jesus and his teachings—and the risks that could be involved in following him, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment