Thursday, August 20, 2015

August 20, 2015 - Thursday

A second time he sent other servants, saying, ‘Tell those invited: “Behold, I have prepared my banquet, my calves and fattened cattle are killed, and everything is ready; come to the feast.”’
Some ignored the invitation and went away, one to his farm, another to his business.
The rest laid hold of his servants, mistreated them, and killed them. (Matthew 22:4-6 NABRE)

Jesus, in one parable, compares the kingdom of heaven to a king's wedding banquet. None of the invited guests choose to attend. What is your response to God? Do you ignore him? Do you avoid him? Do you actively speak out against him? Do you laugh at him? Think about it this day. Take some time.

I am not talking about anything more or less than what is in your heart. But a relationship with God, which each of us has, is more than emotion. A relationship involves a decision that goes beyond feelings. And so, look past your feelings, and consider choosing to give this special relationship your attention.

Start simple and avoid the typical excuses made these days like, "I'm going to hell anyway so why not do what I want." Instead, quietly and privately ask God to show himself to you today, in a small way, just enough so you will recognize him. And most importantly, trust that he will do it and be open to it when he does! By taking the first step, you are opening the door to the Lord and he will step inside and join you.


Today, I will, as I do every day, ask the Lord simply to join me.


Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, who wrote, In dangers, in doubts, in difficulties, think of Mary, call upon Mary," pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment