Monday, April 28, 2014

April 28, 2014 - Monday

Do not profane my holy name, that in the midst of the Israelites I may be hallowed. I, the LORD, make you holy. (Leviticus 22:42 NABRE)

Many comedians take the position that by poking fun at everyone, including themselves, they are not causing any trouble.  They are, in effect, giving themselves permission to say things that shouldn't be said, to think things that shouldn't be thought, and to encourage things that shouldn't be encouraged.  To be fair, not all comedians believe this.

This position is sneaky because it seems so reasonable and harmless, especially when it is couched immediately with laughter.  I admit, it entices me because some of the funniest comic performances I've ever seen have crossed lines that shouldn't have been crossed, with hysterical results.

Holiness is a vague term that seems to have little to do with daily life these days, but that is so far from the truth!  I suspect it may be more likely that we simply don't think about holiness, ever.  God makes us holy and tells us to choose to be holy.  So, do we need to wear robes and suffer through life in order to be holy?  Not at all.

Holiness is a lifestyle that shows respect to God and to others.  That's all.  That is enough, and it is extraordinarily challenging in its implications.

Be extraordinary!

When I am holy, I choose to think, do, and say certain things; but as important, I choose to avoid thinking, doing, and saying many things that others accept and invite.  And I know this will force me into some uncomfortable situations, even confrontations, where I'll need the Holy Spirit to guide me.

Today, I will seek to be holy in my words and thoughts, and to avoid the profane, asking God's Holy Spirit to lead and protect me.

No comments:

Post a Comment